Ever since I was 3 years old I knew I wanted to be a professional singer. So at 19, I auditioned to be a lead singer for a major cruise line, but was told I didn’t have what it takes. Actually, I was told, “Our lead singers get a standing ovation when they finish a song. I wouldn’t even give you a handshake for that pathetic performance.” Ouch! That hurt, and I obviously didn’t get the gig. Did I let it stop me though? Absolutely not! After I dried off my tears, I asked myself a very important question:
“Could I have what it takes to be a lead singer if I worked on it?”
My answer was a 100% yes! So I spent the next year developing my skills and making a game plan to reach my ultimate goal. One year later, I auditioned again and got offered the job. I had an amazing career for 12 years, traveling the world as a lead singer in shows.
We all will have “skeptics” in our life, but they don’t have to hold you back from what you really want. Decide for yourself if you have what it takes to make it.
Here’s how to achieve your goals when no one believes in you, in 7 simple steps.
1. Define your goal. Most people fail to achieve their goals because they don’t clearly define what they want, so they end up chasing everything. If this is you, realize that many people believe that if you’re chasing everything, you can’t commit to anything. When you are clear on what you want, then you will be able to determine the steps it takes to get there.
2. Answer why it’s important to you? Your WHY gives you the motivation to keep going when people don’t believe in what you’re doing, or when things start to get tough…and it will get tough. Your ability to power through challenges, proves you have what it takes to achieve what you’re after.
3. Assess the skills you need to accomplish your goal. When I wanted to become a manager for Fortune 500 companies, I was told it would never happen because I had no degree and my only experience in life was being a singer. It’s true, I had zero leadership experience…but I proved everyone wrong. I took leadership courses, read leadership books and implemented what I learned in a big way. I not only became a leader for Fortune 500 companies, I went on to train leaders for multi billion dollar corporations, the US Dept. of Defense, the Golden Globe Awards and many more! What skills do you need to develop in order to achieve your goals?
4. Develop a process. Set benchmarks, deadlines and make a schedule with action items that is easy to follow through with. You need to own your schedule during this time. If you don’t own your agenda, someone else will, and it’s usually the people who don’t believe in what you’re doing. When you make a schedule, it lets the “nay sayers” know when you are working on your goal, and when you can socialize.
5. Execute-Take MASSIVE, daily action and commit 100% to every action you take. If you don’t give 100% in the small things, you won’t give it in the big things either. People will start to believe you are serious about achieving your goals when they see how hard you’re working at it.
6. Evaluate during the benchmarks. It’s been proven that 30-90 days is the most effective time frame that people will stick with a goal, so set your benchmarks for every 30, 60 and 90 days. Ask yourself during this time, what’s working for you? What’s not? Are the actions you’re taking everyday bringing you closer to, or further from your goals? Make your game plan to move forward from there.
7. Build a Support System. Jim Rohn once said, you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. If you are serious about achieving your goals, get around others who are serious about achieving theirs. You can hold each other accountable to achieve weekly goals, and lift each other up during the challenging times.
“There will always be critics who don’t believe in you, but you don’t have to allow their limitations be yours.”
by Betsy Allen-Manning
Leadership Speaker | Author | Organizational Development Expert
- 1. Comment below on which of the 7 Tips on How to Achieve Your Goals that you plan on implementing first. If you want to dive deeper into achieving your next level, check out my Amazon Best Selling book, Life in The Fast Lane, where 12 other authors and I provide our personal GPS for success. Some of the authors include: Kevin Harrington (Shark Tank), Frank Shankwitz (Founder of Make a Wish Foundation), Jeff Hoffman (CEO of Priceline.com), Jeff Garcia (Former Quarterback with the 49ers) and many more!
2. Subscribe to my website blog for leadership tips and get your FREE copy of, “The Leadership Productivity Formula”-10 Ways to Beat Procrastination and Get Stuff Done